A limited number of assistant conductors will be selected to participate in the festival.
Assistant conductors will participate in the preparations for the productions of Mozart’s operas Die Zauberflöte and Le nozze di Figaro, and will conduct these works extensively in staging rehearsals with the cast and chorus. Assistant conductors will attend and participate in orchestra rehearsals and concerts, and have the opportunity to conduct the orchestra in rehearsals.
Conductors will prepare and conduct a fully-staged opera scenes program, which will include scenes from important Czech operas such as Rusalka and Prodaná nevěsta(The Bartered Bride), in addition to standard operatic repertoire. Students will work directly with coaches and faculty from the Czech National Theater and the Prague Conservatory on all aspects of presenting opera.
Assistant conductors will have intensive mentoring from the festival conductors, take private lessons and coachings with the PSN faculty, and will have have opportunities to participate in career development workshops, the subjects of which may include: resume building, social media, networking and audition preparation. They will have the opportunity to participate in masterclasses and take private lessons at the Prague Conservatory.
In addition, students will gain practical experience through administrative activities in the logistical and operational aspects of running an orchestra, producing an opera, and mounting an international summer music festival.
- Conducting in the opera scenes program, performed in a historic theater
- Three (3) orchestra concerts of major symphonic repertoire in historic halls of Prague and surrounding cities, including an orchestra concert at the Estates Theater
- Fully-staged opera productions of Mozart’s Die Zauberflöte and Le nozze di Figaro in the Estates Theater
- Masterclasses with orchestral players from major orchestras in the Czech Republic, Germany, and Austria
- Intensive workshops with major orchestra musicians
- Opportunities to attend rehearsals at the Czech National Theatre, the Prague Symphony or the Czech Philharmonic
- Conducting lessons and coachings with the PSN faculty
- Masterclasses with guest faculty